A cockroach proof container is a must if you live in a metropolitan area where roaches roam through buildings. However, you can’t totally eliminate cockroaches from your home if your building has an issue. But having a cockroach proof storage container can help reduce the number of pests getting into your food.
Eliminating some of the resources that roaches need to survive will help control them. So what do roaches eat anyway? Well, roaches eat a wide variety of things, including carbohydrates, pet food, feces, soap, meat, veggies, and much more. They can survive on the smallest food sources, so having the right storage container is essential. Did you know that roaches can even eat bed bugs? ??
There are a variety of different containers available to store food and other items that attract cockroaches. Here are some of the best bug-proof containers to choose from:
Cockroach Proof Containers
No matter what container you choose, it’s essential always to ensure the air-tight rubber gasket is in working order. Sometimes these rings degrade, which allows gaps to form and roaches to enter.
If you have a roach infestation, it’s wise to place all air-tight containers in the refrigerator. This extra step will allow you to bait and treat your home for roaches while your food is safe and secure.
Plastic containers can come in different sizes and shapes, making them ideal for storing food items. These are an excellent choice as long as they are air-tight and impenetrable by roaches. Even if you are keeping something simple like rice, it’s imperative to use one of the best rice storage containers so pests won’t lay eggs in your rice.
- OXO Good Grips 10-Piece POP Container Set is airtight, stackable, space-efficient and now dishwasher safe, making it easy to keep your dry foods fresh and your pantry organized
- Set includes: One (1) 2.8 Qt Container, One (1) 2.7 Qt Container, One (1) 2.2 Qt Container, One (1) 4.4 Qt Container, Two (2) 1.1 Qt Containers, Two (2) 0.6 Qt Containers and Two (2) 0.4 Qt Containers
- Push the button to engage the airtight seal. The button doubles as a handle for the lid
- The convenient fill line makes it a cinch to store pantry staples like coffee, cereal, flour, sugar, pasta, rice, dried beans, nuts and snacks
- For best results, always use the button to open and close. Do not carry POP Containers by the lid
Glass is also an excellent choice for cockroach proof containers, as it doesn’t provide any opening for roaches to enter. Plus, cockroaches cannot chew through the glass. They are also dishwasher-safe and easy to clean, making them an excellent option for storing food.
Ensure you get a few of the best air-tight glass containers for flour and sugar. With roaches, it doesn’t matter if it’s dry flour or rice; they can get into and eat everything.
Mason jars are a great roach proof storage container solution.
- [Large Capacity] The glass storage canister's size is 5.9x7.8 inch(15cmx20cm), bigger than other kitchen canisters. This large food storage jars can hold about 100 OZ(3000ml) liquid or 5.7 lbs(2.6 kg) rice.
- [Airtight Bamboo Lid] This cereal container's lid is the tight with the mouth. It is more airtight to keep the food fresh and dry.
- [Widely Use] The glass canister's mouth is 5.9inch(15cm), you can hold dry or wet food, just like pasta, rice, coffee beans, pet food, fruit, honey and etc.
- [Highly Glass] The clear food storage jars are made of high-quality borosilicate glass and BPA free silicon which withstand temperature 0℉ to 400℉, you can put this airtight food canister in the pantry, kitchen or fridge.
- [Easy to Clean] These large glass containers are dishwasher and microwave safe. Kindly recommend to take off the lid before washing them in dishwasher.
Metal containers are another excellent choice for keeping your food safe from cockroaches. They are air-tight, meaning no roach can get into the container, and they’re also easy to clean.
You can double-check your metal container to ensure it’s air and water-tight. Just fill it with water and see if it leaks when you turn it upside down. If your metal container leaks, then there is a hole that is small enough for a roach to squeeze through.
- DURABLE & CONTEMPORARY: These stylish, jumbo 152 fl oz / 4.5 lt airtight food storage containers made from durable steel will enhance your kitchen space and fit with both modern and traditional decor.
- AIRTIGHT & SEE-THRU LIDS: Clear lids enable you to see the contents which are kept fresh and dry due to the silicone gaskets and locking clamps.
- VERSATILE: These stylish kitchen canisters are great for use as a sugar container and for storing cookies, flour, tea, coffee, spices and other kitchen staples. The jumbo 152 fl oz / 4.5 lt size makes storing bulk foods in quantity a breeze.
- PREMIUM MATERIALS: OGGI Stainless Steel Kitchen Canisters are crafted from food grade stainless steel and the clear lids are BPA free with a long-lasting silicone seal to protect your food.
- EASY CARE: These durable metal containers require minimal cleaning: wipe each stainless steel airtight container clean with a damp cloth between uses.
Vacuum Sealed Bags – Excellent Cockroach Proof Containers
These bags are another excellent choice for storing food items susceptible to cockroaches. They are better than just storing your food in Ziploc bags because they won’t accidentally pop open or degrade, like other storage bags.
The vacuum-packing ensures that pests stay out and the food stays fresh inside the bag. If you have flour beetles all over your house, then using a Food Saver is a great way to prevent them from infesting your food.
Years ago, my friend lived in LA, and her apartment complex had a bad roach problem. The only thing that kept her food safe from roaches was vacuum-sealing everything with a Food Saver.
A machine like the Food Saver is a lifesaver if you have a severe roach problem in your building. Especially since cockroach poop can contaminate all of your food items. Then for extra protection, place the sealed bags into the fridge.
- KEEP FOOD FRESH LONGER: This PowerVac Vacuum Sealer keeps food fresh in the freezer up to 5x longer compared to ordinary storage methods—and helps prevent freezer burn as well.Includes : (1) 11″ x 8′ Roll, 3 Quart-Sized Vacuum Seal Bags, 2 Gallon-Sized Vacuum Seal Bags
- VERTICAL STORAGE: Space-saving unit stores vertically in the kitchen to save you valuable countertop space
- LESS BAG WASTE: Seals with 35 percentage less bag waste compared to previous FoodSaver models, so you can get the most out of your FoodSaver bags
- CUSTOM SETTINGS FOR WET AND DRY ITEMS: Equipped with 2 custom settings. Dry and Moist, to ensure an airtight seal is achieved regardless of the type of food
- MORE FEATURES: Built-in bag alignment drip tray ensures correct bag placement every time and is removable for easy cleanup, connect to a FoodSaver Hand Held Sealer (sold separately) to sous vide or preserve food stored in the fridge and pantry, compatible with all other FoodSaver bags, rolls, and accessories
FAQ’s on Cockroach Proofing Your Kitchen Food Storage
Can Roaches Eat Through Plastic?
Yes, roaches can eat through thin plastic, especially if it’s a bag that’s been reused multiple times. If you have a roach problem, your best bet is to put everything into one of our recommended cockroach-proof containers above.
While we are all sleeping, roaches go out scavenging for food at nighttime. They are omnivores and will eat whatever they can find. Pro Tip: If you use a vacuum-sealed bag, you can place your sealed item into a glass or metal roach-proof container for double the protection.
How to Keep Roaches Away From Dog or Cat Food?
If you have roaches in your kitchen, chances are that your pet’s food is also contaminated. You’ll want to study our article on how to keep roaches away from your pet’s food. If you see roaches eating your pet’s food, then you’ll want to dispose of the food, your pet can likely get sick.
Can You Eat Food That A Cockroach Has Been On?
You should not eat food that a cockroach has been on if you can avoid it. Wash all of your produce, people!!! ?? Did you know that many food items have had roaches crawling on them – (at the store)?
It’s essential to wash all produce that comes from a store. Many times in the grocery store, roaches crawl through the food. Recently I read an article about this person who opened a bag of lettuce from Lidls, and a live cockroach crawled out.
What Are The Best Bug-Proof Storage Containers?
Here are some ideas: Airtight containers that don’t have gaps in the lid. Another great alternative are mason jars, when you screw down the lid, it makes a tight seal.
Can Cockroaches Eat Through Plastic?
Roaches have biting and chewing mouthparts, so they can bite through flimsy plastic bags. However if its thick plastic like a good food storage container, then their mouth is not strong enough to break through it.
Can Roaches Get into Sealed Food?
It is possible for roaches to get into sealed food, but it depends on the type of container and the level of infestation. Roaches are known to be able to squeeze through very small openings, so even if a container is tightly sealed, they may be able to find a way in. Additionally, if a container has any cracks or gaps, roaches may be able to get in through those openings.
To prevent roaches from getting into your food, it is important to store food in airtight containers and to keep your kitchen clean and free of crumbs and spills. If you suspect that you have a roach infestation, it is best to contact a pest control professional to help you eliminate the problem.
Can Roaches Get in Plastic Totes?
Roaches can get into plastic totes if there are any openings or cracks in the container. While plastic totes are generally more secure than cardboard boxes or paper bags, they are not completely airtight and can have small gaps or openings that roaches can use to gain entry.
To prevent roaches from getting into your plastic totes, it is important to inspect them for any cracks or gaps and seal them with tape or plastic if necessary. Additionally, it is important to store your totes in a clean, dry area and to keep your home free of clutter and food debris, which can attract roaches.
Can Roaches Eat Through Chip Bags?
Roaches are not known to eat through chip bags, but they are attracted to food and can find their way into bags that have been left open or have small openings. If there are any crumbs or food particles in the bag, roaches may be attracted to it and try to get inside.
To prevent roaches from getting into your chip bags, it is important to store them in airtight containers or seal them tightly after opening. So, once the chip bag is open, you should place the entire bag into an airtight storage bin. Just sealing the bag of chips with a “chip clip” is not enough.
Can Roaches Get in the Refrigerator?
Yes, there are a few ways that roaches can get in a refrigerator. I personally saw bugs in a fridge when I visited New Orleans 10 years ago. I was staying with some friends who ran an artist collective, and they had a severe roach infestation. When I opened the refrigerator, to my horror, I saw several roaches scurrying away.
Ways Roaches Can Get Into A Fridge:
- You have a roach infestation, and they are crawling on the door and gasket. So when you open the fridge, one can easily creep in.
- If you buy something from the store with roaches or eggs on it, you can place the insect into your fridge by accident.
- If you use a cardboard box to store something inside the fridge, roaches can crawl and get trapped inside.
- Finally, if your refrigerator is not sealed correctly, or has any gaps or cracks around it, then roaches could quickly get in that way.
It’s essential to check your fridge for signs of cockroaches and take measures such as using a cockroach proof container to prevent them from entering in the future.
Also, regularly clean out your refrigerator and vacuum any crevices or cracks that could provide an entryway for roaches. Please pay special attention to the rubber gaskets on the fridge; vacuum and sanitize them to prevent roach eggs from hatching.
Final Thoughts for What Are the Best Cockroach Proof Containers?
By investing in a cockroach proof container, you can be sure that your food items will be safe and secure from pests. They can also help save you money in the long run by preventing food spoilage due to an infestation of roaches. With various options available, choosing the correct container can help keep your home safe and clean.